Tuesday, January 18, 2011

34

So today is my birthday. I am 34.

I am not in the best shape of my life. I am getting there. But once, a lifetime ago before kids, I went to the police academy in 1999. That? Was the best shape of my life. But, I felt weak. I was 140lbs with a 28 inch waist. I didn't even have enough room around my belt to fit all the bat-gear that a police officer needs. I had to buy a small handheld flashlight to keep in my pocket since I couldn't carry the large maglight that was issued to me. I couldn't carry my PR-24 (night stick kinda think, for those that aren't in the know)... thank goodness I worked in a small shore town that really didn't need it. I never unholstered my weapon (ie. gun) and I only made 2 arrests all summer. Not too shabby.

But back to feeling weak... I was in college. I played field hockey and ran track. I was 22. Yet, I was usually in the back of the pack on our runs. I did a mere 7 push ups in 2 min at the first PT exam and only 22 at the last. I never did a pull up. I did good in the academics and firearms, but I felt weak in PT. Weird, since now I feel so strong. Maybe because I have had 2 children since then and I know what my body can really do. Maybe because *I* am in control of my workouts and someone else isn't dictating what I have to do that day. Maybe because I have a great network of women and moms that are in the same boat. Maybe because KC is just awesome and she lives 5 min from my house and we can run together often, so I have a buddy and a world of support. I don't know. But I do know I am about 30 pounds heavier than I was when I graduated the police academy and I couldn't be happier.

Happy Birthday to me.... and with my 'new' active lifestyle many many more to come. :)

No comments: