Wednesday, January 14, 2009

My 'Karate' Kid

OK, so it's not Karate. Karate is from Japan. My Kid has started Taekwondo. That is from Korea. According to one of the dittos that we got in the info packet from the school "Saying that Taekwondo is Karate is like saying our football is the same as England's rugby."

My cousin went to this school for years and started when he just older than my Kid. He achieved a black belt and went all over for competitions and won many trophy's. I am not sure that is a goal that the Kid understands right now or if one that he would want to pursue. He is just having so much fun . He has been really enjoying it and looks forward to it much more than he did when he went to the Little Gym. I thought that it was going to be so expensive, but it turns out it's no more per class than the Little Gym, and here he will be working toward real goals (belts) instead of just taking classes.

He was so proud of himself when he got his white belt during his second class. Three months from now, if he practices and does well in class, he will have his yellow belt. It's a Lil' Dragons program for 4-5 year olds. They don't really learn the whole form or get solid belts. They learn respect for themselves and others, discipline, self-confidence and self-esteem. Their belts have a color stripe going through them. They don't begin the solid belts until they are 6.

How cute is he in his uniform?!?!

4 comments:

Anglophile Football Fanatic said...

I'm so glad to see someone doing it. Our karate et al schools don't let kids in until 4, but I can't wait. I think my son's personality is perfect for it. He also did Little Gym, too.

Sherry said...

I have to agree, he is just adorable in his lil uniform.
Solid belts or not I think it's an awesome way to learn SELF worth, respect and respect for others.
I am so glad to hear you don't push him too, let him try things and make up his own mind, perfect!!!

KG said...

It's great that he's interested in something so rewarding. And the uniform is totally hawt.

CPA Mom said...

I thought about moving my son from Little Gym to Taekwondo but found out they have to go 3x a week for Taekwondo!! I can't do any more than 1x a week for time. *sigh*