Monday, May 5, 2008

Happy Cinco de Mayo

I really don't have much of an idea of what this holiday is all about. Is it like the Mexico Independence Day? Is it just an excuse to drink Corona?


It is actually much like St. Patricks Day, Okoberfest and Chinese New Year are used to celebrate Irish, German and Chinese heritage in America.


I found this site that has the history of May 5th. If you really read it, it seems to be a battle in a war that the Mexican's fought on the same side as American's.

Mexican Independence Day is actually September 16th.


But what ever the reason, I love to have a nice cold Corona with lime (but not for me this year) and a few yummy tacos to celebrate too! :)

3 comments:

AndreAnna said...

Any excuse to drink tequila and eat nachos works for me.

Sherry said...

I never ever heard of it til I was working, then I thought everyone was nuts, not realizing it's real. So yeah I don't celebrate!!

ladybughugs said...

You know how Valentines Day and Mother's Day have become 'Hallmark' holidays? Cinco de Mayo is a 'Corona' holiday. Actually Mexicans don't celebrate it. It's the anniversary of a very bloody battle. Corona has hyped it for their sales. Having said that I stopped for tortillas, cheese, chicken, chips, and guacamole on my way home from work yesterday.